Located at the heart of the world’s largest consumer market, France provides an ideal springboard not only to Europe but also to Africa and the Middle East.
- France is Europe’s second-largest economy and the fifth-largest in the world.
- France is Europe’s second-largest consumer market, with 65 million inhabitants.
- France is the world’s leading tourist destination, with 83 million visitors (World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), 2013). With its overseas territories, France’s inluence extends to all the world’s oceans; it has the second-largest exclusive economic zone (11 million sq. km.) after the United States, and shares a border with Brazil (French Guiana).
- France is Europe’s largest aerospace and nuclear industries.
- France is Europe’s second-largest agri-food and chemical industries.
- France is Europe’s third-largest ICT and pharmaceutical sectors.ont of their sectors
- Of the world’s top 500 companies, 31 are French (Germany has 29 and the United Kingdom 26). This puts France fourth in the world alongside Germany. (Source: Fortune Global 500, 2012)
- 12 French companies or institutions are among the 100 most innovative organizations in the world(source: Thomson Reuters, 2013). France is ranked first in Europe, ahead of Sweden (three organizations), Switzerland (3), Germany (1), and Belgium (1).
Bastian was invited as the guest of the government of France to be part of a week-long FAM research trip to Northern France. The purpose was to familiarize Bastian with the key economic assets of the region, in particular those involving logistics, manufacturing and warehousing concerns. Bastian was one of five interntional journalists, all of whom represented American and/or global business magazines. She enjoyed visiting the offices and headquarters of numerous native and American concerns, and especially appreciated a briefing and private, behind-the-scenes tour of The Chunnel given by that organization’s president. She also met and interviewed key government officials engaged in inward investment programs aimed at attracting foreign investments to Northern France. Bastian used her new information and knowledge to write a major article for a national economic development magazine and its 40,000 readers, and to help her understand Europe and France better when writing additional business stories.
Interviewing, writing, research, high-level interpersonal communications with government officials and corporate C-suite executives.