Founded by Kelly Glick in Boerne, Texas, Country Lifestyle was the region’s only premier, subscriber-based magazine created specifically for affluent and influential Texans living in the heart of Texas Hill Country. This full-color, glossy publication also had wide appeal throughout Texas to anyone who wanted to enjoy stories about the people, places, activities and history of this unique region of the Lone Star State. In particular, it was known for its profiles of high-end Texas mansions and Texas artists. Published six times a year, Country Lifestyle enjoyed a readership of 10,000. It had a social media presence on Twitter and Facebook, and also published a bi-monthly newsletter. Prior to ceasing publication in 2011, the magazine was sold in HEB, Walmart and Target stores from Dallas to the Texas Coast, as well as mailed directly to its loyal subscriber base.
TASKS In her position as Managing Editor, Bastian edited/proofed all copy, managed all freelance staff writers, helped come up with stories for the editorial calendar with the publisher, assisted the art director with all layout activities, represented the magazine at community, client-sponsored and company-sponsored functions, and more. (She also was the impetus behind the magazine’s total redesign in 2006, and provided layout ideas which were later copied by many other local publications.) Bastian also wrote for Country Lifestyle. Her full-length profiles about national jeweler James Avery and Boerne entrepreneur Tom Cusick won four regional writing awards; 2 from International Assoc. of Business Communicators and 2 from Women in Communications.
- 2007 APEX Award of Excellence (interviews/profiles) from Communications Concepts for “Tom Cusick: Boerne’s Famous Cowboy Entrepreneur,” Country Lifestyle magazine. 2004
- Proliner Award of Excellence, Women in Communications/San Antonio for “Tom Cusick: Boerne’s Famous Cowboy Entrepreneur,” Country Lifestyle. 2007
- Proliner Award of Excellence, Women in Communications/San Antonio for “James Avery Craftsman: The Man & The Company,” Country Lifestyle. 2007
- Bronze Quill Award of Merit, IABC/San Antonio for “Tom Cusick: Boerne’s Famous Cowboy Entrepreneur,” Country Lifestyle. 2007
- Bronze Quill Award of Merit, IABC/San Antonio for “James Avery Craftsman: The Man & The Company,” Country Lifestyle. 2007
Lisa was Managing Editor twice; from 2009 to 2011, and from 2006 to 2007.
SKILLS Editing, writing, interviewing, creating/managing a team, design layout coordination, editorial calendar creation, full suite of magazine production skills.